Member of the Month - Chad Ontko
Get to know our January Member of the Month- Chad!
1. When and how did you get started with SoCo? I started out at Carlos' "gym" (his garage) in 2014 and was heavily persuaded by him to become a member of CrossFit 979 in 2015. I've never really lifted weights my entire life and wanted to challenge myself to do something hard across all fitness areas. That and I was getting pretty big and needed to do something about it.
2. If you could only do one CrossFit movement for the rest of your life, what would it be? Wallballs for days. It helps that I'm tall. Right Oliver?
3. Favorite workout/least favorite workout?? I really love the HERO workouts even though they are brutally hard. It puts into perspective those that have served and protected us with their lives. I think about what they went through when I want to quit the workout. Motivates me every time. Least favorite workout would be anything with burpees or the airdyne.
4. What 3 things would you bring with you to a deserted island? My Bible, my wife, and all 5 of my kids. (kids fall under one thing, right?) I would say "Hey kids, lets play the game of "forage for food"".
5. If you had to pick a TV show to be your life, what show would it be? I don't know which one I'd like to be my life but my favorite show is the Wonder Years. (old school, I know)
6. What is your spirit animal? I don't know what a spirit animal is but I guess I'd be a wolf. They do things in a pack with the help of others, don't have too many close friends, and are laid back.
7. What’s your favorite cheat food? Is this a trick question because there are too many to list (which is why I do crossfit). I love food and if I had to answer, I'd say cherry cheesecake.
8. What superpower would you want to possess? Why? I'd say time travel because it would be really cool to go back in time to see history's major events. That and to possibly change some of my stupid mistakes I've made, or invest in some good stocks.
9. What’s the wallpaper on your phone right now?
My wallpaper is my family: My wife, Lamar, and my 5 kids (left to right) Emory (14), Luke (8), Aaron (3), Andrew (10), and Anne Carson (12).
10. If you could travel anywhere outside of this planet, where would you go and why? How about the Orion Nebula! Google it. I think anywhere in space would be magnificent and to think the Bible says God knows all the stars by their name. Psalms 147:4
11. What’s in your most frequently used emoji tab?
Yeah apparently I'm either laughing, mad, or sleeping most days.
12. What’s the last thing you searched for on Google? Used minivans for sale-My wife rocks the swagger wagon.
13. If someone wrote a book about you, or you wrote a book, what would be the title? The title would be "I'm 6'3": Facts about Chad Ontko for Dummies" for my most asked question I get.
14. If you had unlimited resources to buy yourself one thing, what would it be? A bigger house for my family on top of a hill. No more flooding or foundation issues.
15. If there was one category where you could answer the whole column on ‘jeopardy' what would it be? why? 80's movie lines because this is what I did a lot as a kid-watch movies. "Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."
16. What is your favorite candy? Why? Payday because I love the taste and this is what happens when I sell something.
17. If you had to turn in to a color, what color would you be? Even though it isn't a color, I'd choose clear in order to be all the colors. (weird question)
18. Whats your favorite party game or board game? I'll date myself but I loved playing the board game Stratego. (It's like capture the flag on a board)